Compare the top website builders that let you create a low-cost, professional-looking website in a matter of hours. We personally tested each website builder on our site so that you can make an informed buying decision.
Website Builders Services
|Name of Plan||Starter Plan||MyWebsite Basic||WebStarts Pro||Moonfruit Lite||Connect Domain||Weebly Pro|
|Price Per Month (including hosting)||
|Domain Registration Cost||Included||Included||Included||$14.99/year||N/A||$39.95/year|
|Free Trial||No||No, but||No||No||No||No|
|Number of Templates||100+||200+||100||90||300+||100+|
|E Commerce Tools||No, but||No, but||No||No, but||No, but||Yes|
|Hosting Space||1 GB||10GB||25 GB||0.5 GB||0.5 GB||Unlimited|
|Ease of Use|
What is a Website Builder?
A website builder is a low-cost online tool that helps you build a professional-looking website quickly and easily without any programming knowledge. A website builder helps simplify the process of building a website by providing you with templates that allow you to drag and drop text, images and videos directly into the web page. Most website builders are a part of a service that bundles domain registration, hosting services, and website creation tools all in one package.
Why Buy a Website Builder?
Save Time: Using a website builder, you can create a professional business or personal website that is informational and/or sells products online in a matter of hours. These tools are so simple that it would likely take you less time to build your site than it would to get a proposal from a web designer. If you hire a web design, you spend a lot of time communicating back and forth with the designer about your vision of the site and sending them the information you want to be displayed on your site. In contrast, website builder software allows you to tweak or modify your site in a matter of minutes.
Save Money: Compared to the costs of hiring a designer, website builders are generally very inexpensive. When hiring a designer, you not only have to consider the cost of the initial hire, but you also need to consider the costs of future website changes and of maintaining your site over time. The website builders we’ve reviewed on the site are within the $5-$10 per month range, which includes hosting costs. Independent web design contractors will typically charge a minimum of $50 per hour of work to build your site.
An online website builder is a quick, convenient, easy and fun option for building your website.
Who Should Use a Website Builder?
Anyone can create a professional website, thanks to online website builders that have made it easy and inexpensive to build a website. Most website builders are user-friendly and designed for people who have minimal to no HTML coding experience.
Website builders are good for the following types of users:
- Small business owners or entrepreneurs looking for a way to establish their presence on the web quickly and easily or to begin selling their products online
- Retailers or restaurants looking for a way to give their customers access to directions, their menus or daily specials, printable coupons, and special events
- Niche marketers looking for a way to get their information out to their communities
- Event promoters who want to reach a wide audience quickly
- Non-profit organizations looking for a cost effective way to increase their visibility
- Individuals, freelancers or job-hunters who want to market themselves online and link to their online resume or portfolio
What to Look For in a Website Builder
We reviewed all of the plans from the website builders on our list and created what we consider to be the ChooseWhat Market Standard for these services. Our Market Standard provides you with a list of standards to consider when choosing your website builder.
ChooseWhat Market Standard
- 30-day free trial or money-back guarantee
- $5-$10 monthly fee
- 100+ website templates
- Direct template editing feature
- Includes Search Engine Optimization tools and help
- E-commerce tools available with an upgrade (including PayPal acceptance)
- Phone customer support available
- WYSIWYG editor (WYSIWYG stands for "What You See Is What You Get" and is a website builder editor that precisely represents what your site will look like to your visitors while you are editing it.)
- Drag-and-drop feature (The ability to move or drag pictures and blocks of text around on your site.)
- Ability to add your own text, images, videos, and additional pages quickly and easily
- Ability to directly edit the HTML of the site