Website Builder Comparison
Compare the best website builders that let you create a low-cost, professional-looking website in a matter of hours. Use our simple comparison grid below, or, if you'd like more information about each company, skim through our review summaries and click on the Full Review option for any company to get in-depth information. The full reviews cover Ease of Use, Customer Suport, Account Features, Pricing and Upgrades. We personally tested each website builder on our site so that you can make an informed buying decision.
Compare the top website builders in our comparison grid
Click here to view our comparison grid and read reviews »
What is a Website Builder?
A website builder is a low-cost online tool that helps you build a professional-looking website quickly and easily without any programming knowledge. A website builder helps simplify the process of building a website by providing you with templates that allow you to drag and drop your own text, images and videos directly into the web page. Most website builders are a part of a service that bundles domain registration, hosting services, and website creation tools all in one package.
Who Should Use a Website Builder?
Anyone can create a professional website, thanks to online website builders that have made it incredibly easy and inexpensive to build a website. Most website builders are extremely simple and are designed for people who have little to no HTML coding experience.
Website builders are good for the following types of users:
- Small business owners or entrepreneurs looking for a way to establish their presence on the web quickly and easily or to begin selling their products online
- Retailers or restaurants looking for a way to give their customers access to directions, their menus or daily specials, printable coupons, and special events
- Niche marketers looking for a way to get their information out to their communities
- Event promoters who want to reach a wide audience quickly
- Non-profit organizations looking for a cost effective way to increase their visibility
- Individuals, freelancers or job-hunters who want to market themselves online and link to their online resume or portfolio
We reviewed all of the plans from the website builders on our list and created what we consider to be the ChooseWhat “Market Standard” for these services. Our Market Standard provides you with a list of standards to consider when choosing your website builder.
- 30-day free trial or money-back guarantee
- $5-$10 monthly fee
- 100+ website templates
- Direct template editing feature
- Includes Search Engine Optimization tools and help
- E-commerce tools available with an upgrade (including PayPal acceptance)
- Phone customer support available
- WYSIWYG editor (WYSIWYG stands for “What You See Is What You Get” and is a website builder editor that precisely represents what your site will look like to your visitors while you are editing it.)
- Drag-and-drop feature (The ability to move or “drag” pictures and blocks of text around on your site.)
- Ability to add your own text, images, videos, and additional pages quickly and easily
- Ability to directly edit the HTML of the site
If you are not a website designer, you have two options for building your website. You can either hire a professional or use a website builder. Hiring a professional designer to build your website is likely the right choice for businesses that consider their website as critical to their success. For example, a designer is a must if you are forming an entirely web-based business, or if you require customized features that a website builder doesn’t provide. However, many small businesses can save a significant amount of time and money creating a web presence and presenting information by building their websites with website builders.
Time: Using a website builder, you can create a professional business or personal website that is informational and/or sells products online in a matter of hours. These tools are so simple that it would likely take you less time to build your site than it would to get a proposal from a web designer. You will also spend a lot of time going back and forth with the designer communicating your vision of the site as well as delivering them the information you desire to be presented. Website builder software also allows you to make any tweak to your site the minute you desire.
Cost: Compared to the costs of hiring a designer, website builders are generally very inexpensive. When hiring a designer, you not only have to consider the cost of the initial hire, but you also need to consider the costs of future website changes and of maintaining your site over time. The website builders we’ve reviewed on the site are all near the $5-$10/ month range, which includes hosting costs. Even independent web design contractors will typically charge a minimum of $50/ hour of work to build your site.
An online website builder is a quick, convenient, easy and fun option to consider when building your website.